Sunday, June 24, 2007

Cowgirls shouldn't wear thongs

Saturday night I went to a Cowgirl party at a friend's on Capital Hill. The board game is designed to encourage story telling and is a HOOT to play with the right crowd. (Think of it as Trivial Pursuit meets The View.) You move your horse around the board collecting charms by answering questions, etc. (See sample card below.) The first to get to the Ranch with all her charms wins the game. I highly recommend serving margaritas or just straight shots of tequila for the best game play.

There are some of my friends that would not enjoy this sort of sharing game but, then again, it might give them an excuse to talk about things that they normally wouldn't talk about. It might be best to play with people who you aren't all that close to so if something "delicate" comes up, you don't have to worry about the little tidbit getting spread around your usual circle. Most of the questions where innocuous enough but some where pretty deep. One of the categories was called "sex and body"- this category had the best questions by far, so we made sure to ask that question in addition to whatever question was required. It was WAY more fun that way. (It was a "mixed" crowd so lots of good stories.)

I was in charge of the food which, if you know me at all, could have been disastrous. Cooking is not my forte. I made enchiladas and I winged it all the way. They turned out great! I made two big pans - about 16 enchiladas. Here's my recipe:

Ingredients
corn tortillas, warmed in a frying pan until they are soft
1 bag of Trader Joe's organic roasted corn
1 small can of chilies (or fresh ones, if you're that kind of person)
2 cans organic black beans
1 large can of green enchilada sauce
1 yellow and 1 red pepper sliced or diced
shredded cheese of your choice (I used a monterrey jack/cheddar mix)
Option: chicken pieces.

I fried the peppers just a little bit to soften them up - you could steam them instead.
Mix the corn, beans, and chilies in a bowl. Roll up this mix with a few of the pepper strips in the warmed tortillas and lay them in a baking pan. Cover with the sauce and sprinkle on the cheese. Pop it in a 350ยบ oven until the cheese is melted. Garnish with cilantro, if you have it lying around. Yummy.

Here's a picture of the Cowgirls. The hostess has more photos that she's going to load on Flicker soon, I hope. There were some good ones.

No comments: