Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Wandering Rocks and other things


Yesterday I took my 88-year-old dad to SAM's Olympic Sculpture Park. It was a beautiful day and we had a very nice time. Unfortunately, I only had a crummy little disposable camera with me - left over from my recent kayaking trip - so I doubt that the pictures I took are going to be all that great. (I borrowed this one from their Website.) I can't wait to go back with more time and a better camera.

Dad uses a walker so I arranged to borrow a wheelchair for the day. When we had finished walking down through the sculpture park, I decided the quicker way back up to the car was over the railroad tracks and straight up the hill instead of via the switchbacks. I only have my wheelchair driving learners permit and didn't realize that you shouldn't go forward over the tracks. See, the little front wheels tend to turn sideways and get stuck in the cracks between the rails. Fortunately, I was able to get them out before the train smooshed us like bugs and quickly realized that going backwards over the tracks worked much better. And the even better news is, when I was having this trouble, a guy driving by pulled over to offer assistance! Pulled over! It restored my faith in humanity after the Bozo of Best Buy incident.

No comments: